Tuesday, November 18, 2014

School

School is in full swing now. We had fall conferences last week and I walked with a happy heart. Each student gets a hard copy of their progress and the teachers add comments, which I love. I always wish I could be a fly on the wall at the kids' school, so this is the closest I get. This is Silas' conference form. It literally brought me to tears. Then I called Joe and read it to him and cried again! Gah! I mean, I am excited about the academic things at school, but Silas' character and his social interactions are what I mainly care about.



After I read this I asked him if he helped the younger kids at lunch time open their containers. He got all shy and nodded. It was really sweet. Anyway, I'm thrilled with his progress. I was hesitant about sending him all day, but after conferences I was reassured that was the right choice. Academically he is blossoming as well. For the kid who was so behind last year. He often forgot the letters in his name and although he would willingly do writing or letter work, not much really clicked. This year he is writing in cursive and understanding the sounds of letters. I wish I could take some credit for working with him on this stuff over the summer, but with a new baby that never happened. I think now he's just ready and developmentally things are starting to make sense to him.

Veda. Oh Veda. My school lover and social butterfly. I couldn't get Veda's conference sheet on the blog, but my favorite quote from her teacher was, "Veda is a quite and reserved girl who keeps a low profile." What? Veda? Ha! I'm glad she is respectful at school, because goodness knows she can push my buttons at home. But I will say she does find pride in being polite and sweet, so it swings both ways at home. The biggest take away I got from conferences was that Veda is focused on her tasks and prefers to be around her close friends. That wasn't surprising. She, too, is doing great and I haven't had any complaining about going to school. I think she feels pretty cool going to the same school as Silas now!

To cheers for good reports!

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

Such kind kids! I remember at the UST homecoming parade, Silas was giving away his candy so graciously and benny watched him and followed his lead because he made sharing look cool! You have reason to be proud!