Sunday, August 24, 2014

Kindergarten Ramblings

Kindergarten is right around the corner for Silas, and if you asked me how I was feeling about it a month ago I would have been near tears. Today, I feel a lot more ready. Maybe it's because I am craving some sort of routine in my life. This loosey-goosey summer has been fun and goodness knows how much I love me a slow morning, but this momma is ready for a break from all three all day long.


Joe had such a negative experience with school through his whole school career (both public and private) that we are really looking to avoid that with Silas (who seems to also not learn best in the traditional way). With all of the options out there (public, private, Christian, charter, magnet, prep, Montessori, homeschool) we loved what I found while researching the Montessori school program. Loved. So with all that to say, Silas will be back at St Croix Montessori next week for his kinder-year. Same class, same teacher, a lot of the same students. The only difference is that he'll be at school a full day (a full day? Someone hold me!). As sentimental as I am and as much as I would love for him to be with me all day every day for the rest of my life, it's time. And while I feel a little sad and empty knowing he'll be away for so many hours, I am also so excited. I'm excited for him to feel like a part of his classroom (and school's) community. I'm excited for him to be one of the older kids in class this year and build confidence as he leads and helps and guides the younger students. I'm excited for his passions to be recognized as he learns. I'm excited for him to simply play outside with these kids daily and build relationship through play. I'm really looking forward to seeing how his sweet little self will blossom. And maybe, just maybe he'll learn how to identify all of the letters of the alphabet before the end of the year :)


Silas says he's excited about Kindergarten, but there isn't much he's not excited about. He misses his school friends and I know he'll be excited to see them. And, of course, his (ugly) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles lunchbox will come out of storage and he's pretty thrilled about that, too.


One more week with a house full of kids 24 hours a day. Veda will be at St Croix Montessori as well. Only half days. I will get some good momma/Rocco time each morning. It's going to be different, but a good different!

No comments: